Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:38:11 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hello wise-ones,

I have just had a question from a mum-to-be (second child) who suffered from a breastabcess with her first baby at 10 weeks. She subsequently weaned because of the abcess. At the moment she is quite anxious that she will end up going down the same road with her second child and would rather not breastfeed if it means that she has a higher than normal risk of an abcess (because of her previous history). She told me that she believes that the abcess developed after a bout of mastitis which her doctor did not recognise inititally and then prescribed antibiotics that did not work, told her to ride it out for another three days (!!), before prescribing another course of ab. It was actually her midwife who took a look at the breasts and sent her that evening to hospital to have the abcess drained. 
I've talked to her about getting info on breastfeeding, attending classes and speaking to a IBCLC in her locality in order to be able to get the bf off to a good start / recognize early signs of problems etc. But she would also really like to know whether she is at an increased risk (and what that risk is) so she can make a judgement on whether to even start bf this baby. Anyone any ideas if there are numbers that can be quoted - not that I think they say all so much if she also gets good lactation support from the start.

I've already taken a look at PubMed but to no avail, nothing in Riordan on risks. Anyone with more experience who can shed a light on this??

Thanks,

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2