Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:31:55 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)
MessageSome of you may be aware that I have been tied up the past month, preparing a submission to Canada's Federal Labour Standards Review Commission.  This Commission will recommend changes to Canada's 30 year old Labour Standards.  

We were calling for Canada to fulfill its committments to implement the International Labour Standards which call for two half hour breastfeeding breaks for working mothers of infants under one year of age, and one half hour break for children over the age of one year, until the age of two years.  

As well, among other recommendations, we asked for non-legislative changes such as public education, and financial support for breastfeeding groups, in order to educate and inform the general public of the importance of breastfeeding, and work towards re-establishing breastfeeding as the cultural norm. This is so that breastfeeding women are not stigmatized or harrassed when asserting their rights to breastfeeding breaks.

Two briefs were written and presented on Sept. 23 in Regina, SK.
Johanna Bergerman presented on behalf of the Breastfeeding Committee for Saskatchewan.
See the brief here:
http://fls-ntf.gc.ca/en/sub_fb_10.asp

I (Janice Reynolds) presented on behalf of the Moms For Milk Breastfeeding Network.
See the brief here:
http://fls-ntf.gc.ca/en/sub_fb_14.asp

As well, breastfeeding was mentioned in several other presentations that day - from the Work and Family Unit, Saskatchewan Labour, and the Balancing Work and Family Alliance.  

On the whole the presentation were very well recieved.  We were assured that the Commissioner present (Dr. Daphne Taras) would have already read our complete submission, so in the presentation we tried to highlight the important aspects.  

Johanna gave a verbal review of the history of formula feeding, how it became entrenched as the infant feeding norm, and the detrimental effects this is having on the health of Canadians, including its role in increased rates of obesity.  

She also detailed the importance of direct breastfeeding (as opposed to expressing breastmilk) in allowing the mother to be inocculated with germs that the baby has been exposed to, so that her mature immune system may then produce antibodies and feed them back to the baby in the next feeding.  This illustrated how important breastfeeding is to the infant in childcare situations where they are constantly exposed to "germs" from others (sorry, I know that "germs" isn't the best word - but that the best that this layperson can think of!)

I tried to bring a "real face" to this issue, showing that it is not just an abstract public health effort, but something that real women understand and want and need, right now.  I told a bit of my experience, and pointed out a few of the testimonials.  I brought forward the idea that these moms are being discriminated against, that work should not be allowed to impact such a important health requirement, and human rights of the mother and the baby to continue thier breastfeeding relationship, despite the mother returning to the workforce.

Overall, the presentations went very well, and we received very positive comments throughout the day, from other presenters, the facilitator and the commissioner present (Dr. Daphne Taras).

In fact, in my presentation, when I was trying to emphasize that "real women" (ie women who are not "breastfeeding advocates" like me, and who know nothing about the laws or labour standards possible to protect breastfeeding) understand, want and need these changes - Dr. Taras replied:
"You had me from hello" (meaning that she already believed in what we were proposing).
She also said that she found the testimonials that I provided "compelling".

SO......  (Canadians only please)

Although the briefs are in, and the presentations made, I would still urge any of you who want to contribute your stories or thoughts on this, to simply write the commission a short note.  I think the more that we can show that this is "real" issue to women now, the more likely some changes will be made NOW, not postponed to the next review.  This isn't an issue that has gotten much "press", and if it does, usually the responsibility is put on the breastfeeding mom to "manage" her breastfeeding to accomodate work.

We need to turn this on its head - to show that it is possible, and time, for the WORKPLACE to do some of the accomodating for breastfeeding.

To send your thoughts - take a look at these letters.  You can see that you don't need to write a "brief" - we've already done that.  Just write a note and send it to [log in to unmask]

If nothing else, 
TAKE A LOOK AT THE TESTIMONIALS in my appendix 
http://fls-ntf.gc.ca/en/sub_fb_14.asp
(scroll down to just a little past halfway)

THESE TESTIMONIALS WILL GIVE YOU A BOOST!  

Thanks so much for the women who shared their stories!  I've been told over and over that they are the true strength of the submission.

Janice Reynolds.
Nokomis, Saskatchewan, Canada

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2