Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:22:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Oh Lisa, thank you for the vent!  You just said what I am sure a lot of us feel on  many, many days.  Well put! 

Susan Gehrman RN, IBCLC, CCE
Battle Creek Health System
300 North Ave.
Battle Creek, Michigan 49016
Phone: 269-245-8586

Breastfeeding... A natural resource. 

This message may contain confidential information protected by law through attorney-client privilege or professional peer review/quality evaluation privilege.  It is intended only for the individual or entity named above.  It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message.  If you received this message in error, please notify the BCHS Privacy/Integrity Office at [log in to unmask] or (269) 245-8347.

>>> lisa mooney <[log in to unmask]> 06/24/2011 5:21 PM >>>
Now I am not saying that Third World Countries do not have other issues, but I am SOOOO SICK of the Industrialized Countries World View and Culture. If I hear another patient tell me that her nurse told her her baby was using her as A Pacifier, I will scream.  This is  invariably the patient who has Hypothyroid, PCOS and a Crash C/sec, And thus Delayed Lactogenesis and an infant with a 9% weight loss. Of course, not a problem, just give Formula. I just started telling the Nurses that 1 bottle of formula has the equivalent of 1 can of Cola Sugar Content in the form of Corn Syrup. Maybe that will get their attention. I am just so sick of all the Iatrogenic problems the Breast Feeding couplet faces, it is beginning to seem like the System causes the vast Majority of problems it pays itself to fix... And we wonder why this world is going down the tubes. This is surely the Pre School of the Universe, I Hope.  I have had 4 patient's this past 3 weeks with 9 to 11% weight losses , 48 to 72 Hours out, who did not want to supplement with formula, they were educated and knew the risks. 2 had tongue ties and could not be revised for a week or two, appts get backed up here and the other 2 no suckling problems and all 4 had Delayed Lactogenesis. It is so hard where I work as the formula is pushed hard for anything over 9%. I wish we had a Jack Newman clinic like set up here so that those Babies could be closely monitored the next day, rather than given formula, all of them were alert and latching and voiding and stooling. The one that was 11% loss at 70 Hours, we kept them here another 8 hours and when we re checked the weight  there had been no loss, it had stabilized and mother's Breasts were finally filling.  Why do they refuse to see the Risks to formula, The science is right there, they can no longer claim they do not have the evidence.  So Frustrating, Thanks for letting me Vent. Lisa Mooney CNM MSN IBCLC. 		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html 
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask] 
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask] 
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2