Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:05:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Geez, he fell off the charts. With a weight that low it makes me wonder if mother is making enough milk? I would first start to looking into how often he nurses and maybe do a couple of pre and post feeding weights. If mother isn't making enough milk then looking into another form of supplement all together might be needed. I am very surprised that his pediatrician hasn't voiced concerns over this yet. Maybe mother doesn't like to pump because she doesn't get much out which might actually be because she isn't making enough. 
The physician could be looking from the view that babies sometimes may be to uncomfortable to eat for a couple of days after surgery. Most babies have reserve fat they can use but this baby sounds like he may be skin and bones. No reserve which could make the healing process harder and longer.
 http://www.indianexpress.com/news/underweight-people-at-higher-postsurgery-risk-study/879064/

Jessica Callahan RN (former pediatric nurse for 10 years and mother baby nurse for 2 years), IBCLC
NC, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2