Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:00:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I feel the new AAP recommendation has hit many of us at the core. As professionals we need good studies but we also know most Mom's have good instincts, and breastfeeding and co-sleeping has proven itself for centuries. The statement also came at a time when many of us found out that our studying and breastfeeding knowledge paid off, we passed the exam for certification or re-certification, and we DO know about breastfeeding. On the other hand we also know many of the Mom's we see, use pacifiers and give bottles anyway, and are scared to lay next to their baby to nurse. Sometimes they continue to breastfeed and sometimes they don't, but rarely do they blame the pacifiers and bottles. "I just didn't make enough milk". When I teach a breastfeeding class I would like them to leave looking forward to the beauty of the breastfeeding relationship, how to latch and how to know their baby is getting enough milk, but the first thing they want to know is "what is the best pump to get?"  As a Lactation Consultant employed by a Hospital I shudder to think I would be responsible for the presence of formula companies. Management, Marketing, Moms and the AAP has to "get it" before changes can be made. There are may times I want to put on the Birkenstocks and flowing tie-dyed skirt and nestle into a commune where there is peace and joy, and everybody breastfeeds, according to instinct and common sense! 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2