Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 08:39:15 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
        My mother was an RN and house supervisor for what would now be termed a small hospital.  At the time of her marriage she had been single well into her late 30's.  Her marriage and subsequent birth to my older sister in 1945 was looked as a real blessing by her co-workers. The RN administrator of the hospital at that time decided that Irene and the baby would not be in the 'ward' or the nursery but in a private area.  She cleared out her office and turned it into a patient room for Mom and my sister.  They never left each other for the first 10 days...yes 10 days for an unmedicated vaginal birth.  My 90 year old father related this to me and I reflected on the fact that as hospital caregivers,

WHY WOULD WE TREAT OUR PATIENTS ANY DIFFERENT THAN WE WOULD OUR OWN LOVED ONES?  If this is how we see excellent care as being, why on earth shouldn't all patients be treated in this manner (not the 10 days part; the no separation or isolation from others part)

Sadly the baby was fed what can only be termed primitive formula, the mother smoked in her room, the baby was kept on a strict schedule and when she didn't poopie on time was given an enema!

What are we doing now regarding lactation that in 60 years will seem primitive?

This is the question we must ask when considering protocols.

Our beds for only one person, poor or nonexistant access to CranioSacral Therapy for both mother and infant.  No banked human milk for bottle-fed babies.  No isolation from others.  Poor safety standards.  Mothers required to beg for birth positons that facilitate
        improved expulsion of the fetus.    Describing the dream brings it
        closer to reality.  Dream with me if you will.  I am interested in seeing your perspective on how it could be.

Sincerely,   Alice Walker

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2