Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 22:25:06 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
I also see oversupply quit often.

I think oversupply is a relative phrase. A women suffers from oversupply when the pressure
in the milk ducts is getting high, so she feels engorged, has a strong letdown, the baby is
drowning in the milk etc.

so, this means a women with a small storage capacity 'suffers' from oversupply earlier than
a women with a huge storage capacity, since in the first case the breast is sooner full.
 On one of our meetings in my city two women reported to have a huge supply with pumping.
Their kids were both 14 monts old, but still they pumped twice a day when they were at work,
and they pumped almost half a liter total. Still they said they never feel engorged, or
suffered from oversupply. Probably they have a big storage capacity.

In these cases (oversupply caused by small storage capacity) I think nursing more often
would lead to less reports of oversupply. I should say: nursing more often but not switching
sides that often.

I also nursed my youngest son at what is called here 'the primitive way': I carried him all
the time and nursed him about every 15 minutes. I started to nurse less often after he
started to walk away from me at 10 months. I had some minor problems with oversupply but
this disappeared when I started to switch sides less often, more led by my sons appetite. He
gained a kg every month.

A lot of the oversupply I see is caused by fear of undersupply. Women stimulate and
stimulate their supply by switching sides many times and pushing the baby to nurse longe,
after he stops sucking, bc she thinks he cannot have enough already.... Another problem I
see with these babies is breast refusal, as reaction on the pushing of the mother.

another cause of oversupply I see is tandemnursing. Even in cases where the toddler only
nursed once or twice a day, the supply is huge. I think this is because the toddler nurses
very effective. He empties the breast quick, and maybe empties the breast to a higher rate
than the baby does, since his mouth is bigger and he is experienced. Maybe this could lead
to the formation of many extra prolactin receptors in the milk ducts.

The same could happen with unneccasary pumping. When women ask me if they could start
storage a milksupply in the freezer during this early days I recommend them to wait a few
weeks.

regards,

Annelies Bon
counsellor of the Dutch bf organization "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"
http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/abon/bfbronnen.htm

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2