Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 20:12:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I had a mother today tell me that her doctor told her that chia seeds were dangerous for breastfeeding mothers.  This mother accidentally ate some cereal that had chia seed in it, and was so scared the she pumped and dumped after eating it.  

From all I've heard, chia is a superfood and completely safe.  The article she sent me (the dr sent it to her) says that chia is in the sage and mint family - so I assume that's why.  Has anyone heard of chia affecting supply or having other negative effects?

Here is the text of the article:

"Chia seeds are quickly becoming considered the newest "super food." They have numerous health benefits and can be used as a base ingredient or eaten by themselves. Despite their positive attributes, chia seeds can prove poisonous in some situations. In combination with some medications, chia seeds can also exacerbate any negative side effects. Background Chia seeds were first used as the staple of nutrition in 3500 B.C. in Central America. The scientific name of the plant is Salvia Hispanica, and the chia seed itself is the size of a pinhead. In some cases it may be used as an alternative treatment for cancer. It has been shown to boost energy levels and provide essential nutrients. Nutrients Chia seeds are a type of sage and a member of the mint family. They are high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B-17. In addition they are high in protein and boron, and assist in the absorption of calcium. Chia seeds are also valued for their ability to retain their liquid content and electrolytes. Dangers Individuals on blood thinners such as Warfarin need to take caution when eating chia seeds. They lower blood pressure and act as natural blood thinners. In combination with prescription blood thinners, this can increase bleeding and present health dangers. Allergic Reactions Chia seeds are still being tested as possible allergens. In some individuals, chia seed consumption can cause watery eyes, hives and rashes. More severe reactions include vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing and swelling of the tongue. If you experience any of these reactions after eating chia seeds, contact your doctor. Possible Dangers Other dangerous side effects of chia seeds are being studied. Doctors are uncertain how chia seeds affect pregnant or lactating women, and for this reason are not recommended for them. Some studies have proposed that long-term consumption of chia seeds may lead to addiction. Another study has also linked chia seeds to an increased risk of prostate cancer."

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Katherine Havener
LLLL, Livermore/Mountain House CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2