Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:03:05 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hi Cindi,

One thing I always have to explain to moms is that LLLI recommends meat as a SECOND food and why.  Being a vegetarian myself, it's a stretch for me, but I've seen several babies whose weight dropped off alarmingly after going on solids, sometimes lots of solids. After discussing the baby's diet with the mom, I often find that the baby is eating a large amount of solid foods but not much protein and as someone else mentioned, not much fat either.

There was a Q&A in Leaven a while back with a question from a Leader asking for explanation of this recommendation and the answer went something like this:  when a baby is exclusively breastfeeding, all nutrients are in perfect balance.  When other foods are introduced the baby will take less of mom's milk, getting less fat and protein. Usually that milk intake is replaced by rice cereal, fruits, and veggies, especially if the mom uses commercially prepared baby foods.  The fat and protein from breast milk needs to be replaced or the baby's weight gain may slow down more than it should  (more than is normal for a BREASTFED baby).  LLL recommends tender peices of stewed meat, ground beef, or poultry that can be easily cut into small slivers or mashed with a fork, or plain tofu cut into bite-sized pieces or blended into other familiar foods. (Andy loved skillet-cooked tofu as a young toddler).

Add to the diet concerns a diminished milk supply due to pregnancy and it isn't surprising that a baby could gain less than ideal amounts, IF this baby is in that category, which seems questionable itself.

Good luck!  I hope it turns out well for you and them.

Amy Brown, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2