Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 18:51:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
From the information in Terri's post on the baby who feeds for 10 minutes and then wants to feed again within the hour, a case could be made for oversupply.  It can't be ruled out based on what is included in the post. His weight gain is fine but his mother is concerned that he doesn't settle long enough for her to sleep or to get anything done during the day.  Similar problems with her previous baby were helped some by 'block feeding' but she seems not to have tried that this time.  I wonder why not?  He could be stopping after 10 minutes because his stomach is filled to bursting, but wanting to feed again because her abundant supply is causing a relative lack of fatty milk in what he takes in.  
Not seeing a distinct cream layer after storing pumped milk does not convince me that there is anything wrong with her breasts' ability to make milk with a normal fat content.
She could also have a very marginal supply, so that there is no reason for the baby to stay on more than 10 minutes, and he may need to come back after a short time to have another go.  From the info in the post alone I would not bet money on either possibility.
It would help to know more exactly what his weight gain has been from birth to present, what his output is like, and what happens during a feed.  How much time is he spending swallowing milk and how much just waiting for the milk to appear?  We just don't know.
Olive oil won't hurt but I doubt it has anything at all to do with the behavior the mother is concerned about.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2