Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:27:45 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Why wait 24 hours pp for the ligation?  I did the same myself and we did it right after the delivery of my third child (Madrid 1997).  I delivered with an epidural (which I did not want in the first place, but ended up giving in), they just boosted it up and performed the surgery.  As it is common practice in Spain, the baby was taken away from us and was given to me only after I was back in my room after the surgery.  But this does not have to be the case.  The mother could give birth unmedicated, be allowed to be with her baby immediately after the delivery, breastfeed, and after an hour or so, have an epidural and the surgery.  She could breastfeed immediately afterward (it takes about 45 minutes to an hour) and stay with her baby.  The procedure is not as painful as a c-section could be.  I might be wrong, but here in Spain some ob&gyn say that if they delay the surgery months or even weeks pp, they would have to use general anest.  I was kind of forced to choose to delay breastfeeding instead of interrupting it...and my son and I are like the bunny in those battery ads: still going, and going and going.

I believe I did not have any problems because by the time Matias was born, I had been nursing for the previous four years.  It would be important to know if the mother is still nursing and how long and hassle free her previous nursing experiences have been.

Lavinia,  LLL Madrid.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2