Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 13:37:40 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
 This is one of the best tools any LC can have available. Scratch the whole plastic bag and hot water bottle thing, unless the mom does not have a microwave oven (which I personally ask everyone, b/c I wish no one on earth ever cooked food in one!!so, I actually hope for a "no"--but I have one in my bathroom only for castor oil compresses). So, if there is a microwave--she can soak the flannel, or an old washcloth (it will stain) with the castor oil and heat until warm. Be sure there are no hot spots (esp if using for a baby's gassy belly) and then apply directly to the skin and cover with a light towel. If not using a microwave, I usually suggest heating it in the oven on a cookie sheet.

I use them for any breast pain, esp plugged ducts and mastitis and for gassy baby bellies. In our family, they are used for tummy aches and I used them this week in my aching kidneys/adrenals while I had the flu. They can be used very low on the abdomen for lyphatic drainage. They will usually help a baby eliminate, who has not had a bm due to excess gas. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2