Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:51:16 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hi Jean,
As Alla suggested, this may take some time, but that's OK there's plenty of it available. It's important not to push things (as this will guarantee that the baby will refuse long term) but of offer opportunity. Something that often works with a baby this age is to gradually make bottle feeding more like breastfeeding Darrilyn Starr was the first who described this- using the bottle in a position so that the baby has to turn into the breast (holding it under the arm can work), then bottle feeding skin to skin, then SNS threaded through a bottle teat or bottle teat with milk held over the breast then nipple shield alone etc. As you described this baby has had a lot of changes and is no doubt very stressed. If the mum concentrates on helping the baby to feel safe and loved and and makes gradual moves towards breastfeeding it will come. My paper on adoptive breastfeeding in the International Breastfeeding Journal (open online) might help.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

> 
> 
> I would appreciate some input with my latest induced lactation case.  In the past, all the babies I have worked with have been placed, either at birth, or within the first 2 weeks.  All have breastfed with only minor challenges.
> 
> This one - the baby is 3 months old.  The mother has one biological child whom she breastfed for 18 months.  She has induced a fairly good milk supply, has an SNS, but now we need the baby to come to the party!  She is paced bottle feeding well, but screams at any attempt at the breast. She has latched once!  The mother has tried all the usual tricks - breast when sleepy, co-bathing, breast as dessert, while walking etc.  It has not even been a week - so baby is still adapting to the change in environment, caregivers etc.  How do I reassure the mother and any other tips to share?  Anyone, been-there-done-that who would be willing to offer encouragement?
> 
> Many thanks.
> 
> Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
> Cape Town, South Africa

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2