Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 11:58:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
This has been of week of "unusuals" for me.  Now I have another case to discuss with you.  This is a mom I worked with for the first 2 weeks (she is now 4 weeks)  because her baby was breech with the typical head shape and receeding chin  (she is now 4 weeks) complicated by a genetically pronounced receeding chin just like moms.  It took 2 weeks for the facial structures to soften a bit and get a good latch   with proper postitioning. Things were going well until last weekend and mom was a bit too relaxed with the positioning and her nipples were cracked.  She again pumped and gave some in an Avent bottle every other feeding to rest her nipples.  She developed a mastitis on her right side and did all the usual treatments, resumed breastfeeding every feed, and started on Keflex on Monday.  The baby nursed well, the milk looked and smelled fine on that side.  On Tuesday she noticed a red area on her baby's left cheek.  By Tuesday night it was bigger and the baby was admitted for cellulitis on Wednesday.  The doctor says it was from the mastitis-she has seen this before!-and ordered the mom to pump and dump.  The baby HATES the formula so has been mostly fed by her IV.  Have you seen this before?  There were no areas of skin breakdown in the baby's cheek, inside or out.  It seems to me there are many variables here.  The infection could have just as well been from the bottle nipple or her brother putting his finger in her mouth.  I thought she could at least nurse from the other side but mom loves her doctor and would do anything she said without question. Please let me know if you have seen this.  I will also be asking the doctor for her references and case studies.  Prove it to me!
Thanks
Denise Stuart
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2