Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:56:55 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I see a lot of frenotomies as work in large clinic where the pediatricians are comfortable releasing standard ties and the ENT department releases the thicker or posterior ties.  These families work with me long-term and would definitely report any problem.  If a problem occurred later in life most of these families would still be clinic patients and thus we would hear of the problem.   This has not happened in the past 10 years.  

I did have one father tell me he briefly felt his tongue was out of control when his was released in his teen years. 

Have seen two tongues that I might term hypermobile.  In both cases the tongue was excessively long.  One managed to breastfeed ok.  The other had trouble with bottle and totally could not breastfeed.  This one has tongue-reduction surgery at age 2 due to speech and dentition problems.  I was worried when baby absolutely could not keep tongue in mouth - looked like panting puppy.   

Nothing but positive outcomes for frenotomies so far.
Joanna Koch, IBCLC

Date:    Thu, 7 Apr 2011 16:18:01 -0400
Subject: releasing tongue ties makes them hypermobile?

I just heard from a mother who was told that she should not have her tongue-tied son's frenulum clipped because this would make his tongue hypermobile. She is going to ask for references for this advice, but in the mean time, has anyone else come across this?

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region www.NormaRitter.com Join us on Facebook for the latest birthing and breastfeeding news and
views:
http://tinyurl.com/BMCRonFB

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2