Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:50:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Baby Friendly does not depend on what brand of breast pumps you use.  Baby Friendly status does not depend on how many babies get formula.  It depends on following the 10 Steps:  education of staff, policies, prenatal education, post-discharge referrals for support, early breastfeeding, breastfeeding education of mothers during hospital stay, not giving pacifiers and artificial teats to normal babies,  no formula supplementation without medical indication, rooming-in and encouraging cue-based breastfeeding.  That's all.  What's interesting is that the amount of formula supplementation is more of an outcome of following the other steps - as our hospital has become more baby-friendly in its policies and practices (even though we are not going for the status), our supplementation rate has declined steadily.  The TJC PC - 05 has really helped hold the feet to the fire!  I say - let the steps be part of TJC and everything else will follow - but the PC-05 plus participating in TIPQC has really been the key to getting formula bags out of our hospital over 2 years ago, formula rep access to staff minimized, Breastfeeding Champions among the nurses,  Breastfeeding Support classes mandatory for staff, etc.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dolores Lopez

Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:46 PM

Subject: electric pumps

My hospital is in the process of getting Baby Friendly status, we have pumps that are from a non code complaint company. Is this going to hurt us?

Do we need to change?

My understanding is that if we do business at a fair market value with everyone, formula companies etc.. we should be ok?

Am I right or am I wrong?

thanks

Dolores Lopez

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2