Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:34:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Dear all:

I wanted to also point out that I am perfectly in favor of advocacy.  I think most everyone on Lactnet qualifies as advocates.  We tirelessly advocate for breastfeeding.  In science, however, it is very very important to examine your own sources of bias.  This often means that you have to seek out the opinions of others so that you can detect potential flaws in your research --- and examine those alternative views.  This is true of both qualitative and quantitative research.  Research is actually designed to rule out the alternative explanation or explanations.  If you don't challenge yourself to examine those alternative explanations, you have not conducted solid research.  

There are some advocates who really can change hats well enough to also be good researchers.  And some advocates make the best researchers.  Just as those who have not vested interest in a topic may actually miss the fine details that are so important for a deeper richer understanding.  

Best regards, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2