Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2015 14:48:58 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Hi Winnie,
I know there have been multiple occasions in this conversation where I have stated that this is not about not communicating information to enable women to make informed decisions. To the contrary, if we do not have an understanding of where women are coming from we cannot communicate clearly.
Karleen Gribble
Australia
On 08/02/2015, at 4:16 AM, Winnie Mading wrote:

> Thank you for posting Kathy Detweiller's comments.  I have been bothered during this discussion about "choice" "bashing" "guilt" etc. etc. by the lack of discussion of INFORMED CONSENT!  As far as I can tell, breastfeeding is the ONLY area where we are pressured to hold back on giving full information needed for the client/patient to have ALL the info needed for a fully informed choice.
> 
> Of course, HOW we present the information is important.  We need to have some understanding of "where the mother is coming from", but should we be paternalistic by deciding how much information she can "take"?  And social/cultural attitudes and values also are part of the picture, but they don't alter the facts either.  Back to the smoking comparison, it's like saying we shouldn't discourage smoking in those areas where tobacco cultivation is a major economic value to the community (and, of course, this view has been expressed, but that's another issue) because the person might feel guilty for contributing to a neighbor's job loss.
> 
> "The customer is always right" seems to prevail.  If the patient says she was "pressured" "bashed" or whatever, then she must be totally correct and the information provider must be totally in the wrong!  This attitude on the part of management is the primary reason I left the field long before I had intended to do so.
> Winnie Mading, retired 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2