Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:24:46 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Hi,
I'm working with a mother who is struggling to continue to breastfeed.  Actually she's not, she's pumping and cup feeding to give her nipples a break.   Baby (her 2nd) is now about 6 weeks old-birth was "gentle" according to Mom (no instruments used).  Since birth baby has caused pain to mom's nipples and after feedings nipples have a pointed crease at the tip when it comes out of baby's mouth.  There are no cracks in the nipples-just pain due to the pinching during feeding.  Pain doesn't occur any other time.    There are no frenulum or palate abnormalities that I can see or feel.  When baby sucks on my finger his tongue is cupped under breast and suck feels coordinated.   I've worked with them on asymmetrical latch but we can't seem to make improvements with mom's pain or nipple pinching.  Baby is growing well and voiding/stooling in amounts to indicate good intake.  Lots of audible swallowing with Mom having 2-3 milk ejection's per feeding.  Her first baby never did latch on well according to Mom so she pumped and bottlefed that one for months.   I don't know what to recommend next.  Any ideas would be appreciated.   I think baby could open wider and tongue could possibly be humping up during feeding?    What are your experiences with the tongue exercises described in the Breastfeeding Answer Book?  This Mom had breast implants done and then removed a few years ago-the scar is periareolar.  Could her nipples be lacking elasticity after the surgeries and this is contributing to her problems?  The Mom asked if a nipple shield would help and I told her I didn't think so but....could it?  Thanks
Sally Myer 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2