Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:08:15 PST
Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/PLAIN (33 lines)
Many thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help with the mother who found crystals
in her 2 month old baby's diaper.

I talked to her again with all your suggestions in mind. We established that it was her doctor
who had identified the residue in the diaper as crystals - she used that term to me
because
that is what he said it was. She said that she had originally thought it might be
blood, since
it was a pink colour, but that the doctor told her it was uric acid crystals. The
first time
she saw them, she took the diaper to the doc, and he said he would have it tested.It
was when
he called her back that he told her that it was uric acid crystals. That was last
Tuesday. When
she took in a second diaper  on the following Saturday, he said that they had NOT
tested the
diaper since it was too dry, and that IT WAS ONLY HIS OPINION that it contained uric
acid
crystals!!!!! When the second diaper was tested, the results showed that it contained calcium
deposits, and she was assured that this was normal and nothing to worry about.

I urged her to make sure that the baby was weighed and assessed for adequate hydration, since
neither of these things had been done on the Tuesday visit to the doc's, and I had not seen her
at all owing to both of us being snowed in. Melinda had gained 7 ounces in the 10 days since
she had last been weighed and was well hydrated. You can imagine how this reassured her mother!
Nursing continues to go well, and the mother is absolutely delighted.

Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
"If I am not for myself, who will then be for me? But if I am only for myself, what am I ? And
if not now, when?" R.Hillel

ATOM RSS1 RSS2