Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:35:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
 Thyroid info:

http://thyroid.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1%2FXJ&zTi=1&sdn=thyroid&cdn=health&tm=11&f=20&tt=17&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thyroid-info.com%2F

One of the worst things anyone can do is race to medication. Very frequently, diet and supplements can restore thyroid function. The problem with so many medical tests is that they are used to assess for gross pathology. You do not want to get to that point, but most folks do before they are ever treated. If all women used fertility awareness methods, they would also have thryoid awareness, bc the easiest way to screen the thyroid is through basal body temperature--but once you are no longer sleeping for 4 hour stretches it cannot be used. 

One more bit on wound healing--I suggest moms take therapeutic doses of vitamin D and have their levels tested. I do the same with Raynaud's. Vitamin A is trickier to assess but easier to get in food. Fat soluble vitamin and mineral deficiencies are a crisis in the American diet.

When asked, I assist my clients in making their own formula (although, as stated I am also willing to fly donor milk across the ocean). It really depends on the situation, but I think just as mothers are smart enough to figure out if they prefer milk sharing over AIM, they can figure out how to make their own formula if they want to. 

OTOH, I am not a fan of Sally Fallon and Nourishing Traditions and her liver-based formula. She also believes the vast majority of women have deficient breast milk and should start feeding their babies eggs at 4 months. I think she is dangerously out of balance in her advice. 

My clients ususally begin with goat milk, but I have had moms use kefir (which I prefer) and even coconut milk kefir (remember, AIM is a solid food, too) and add ingredients such as vitamins, coconut oil, EFAs, carrot juice, grade B maple syrup, etc. Depends on the situation. But at least moms have control over the ingredients and the processing.

For Julie whose client's baby has possible reflux--I am absolutely not convinced any care this baby has had has been thorough enough, including the revision of TT (esp if maxillary was not done), the bodywork (needs a skilled chiropactor, IMO) or the assessment of food allergies. Before any more serious workup is in order, I think those need a second look. 

Finally, I have often given a presentation entitled "Optimizing Human Potential through Normalizing Infant Feeding" in which the focus is on the restoration of full competency in the infant. While compensation is a glorious marker of the brilliance and plasticity of the brain, I do not think it is good enough to compensate when we do not need to. As I see it, compensation diverts energy from one focus towards another, which may well pace more stress on the system in accomplishing the necessary or desired task. IMO, if a function it isn't being done as efficiently as possible, it's well worth considering clearing the barriers and offering a less resistant route.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2