Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:46:10 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Hi all,

Sorry, I'm late posting a response to this discussion. Our hospital is accredited by JHACO and we've been collecting data for the core measure since January.

The recent question on Lactnet was, how does JHACO define a Lactation Consultant? Does it need to be an IBCLC? We are unclear as to the answer, also. However, we recently had another question about documentation and emailed JHACO and they were very helpful and responded quickly. Here is the website with information about contacting them with questions:

http://www.jointcommission.org/standards_information/online_question_form.aspx

In my reading of the documents, I have not found anywhere in which they clarify if an LC needs to be IBCLC or CLC, or have any accreditation at all. It seems to be again the continuing problem of what constitutes a Lactation Consultant? We can't call ourselves an MD or RN if we are not, but anyone can technically call themselves a LC whether or not they have any training or accreditation. It seems increasingly clear that we need some type of legislation to legally protect our profession. I'm also very curious to know if JHACO has clarified this point, if you find the answer could you please post and let us know. Otherwise, it would seem to be a loophole in which a hospital could simply meet the measure by calling all of their RN's - lactation consultants and have them document the mother's feeding preference. 

Sincerely,

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2