Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:23:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I am glad to see that the 2012 requirements are being discussed among lactation consultants from all over the world. I live and practice in US.  But I want to talk about the other part of the world: countries of FSU (Former Soviet Union).

I am IBLCE Coordinator for Russia, Belarus , Ukraine and Latvia. There are not one IBCLC in those 4 countries. There are plenty of "Lactation Consultants" with different education and experience.  Most of them are coming from non medical background.  
Last September, during my trip to Russia and Belarus, I met wonderful women who expressed their interest of becoming IBCLC.

The door might close for many of them in 2012. It is impossible to just take few courses in those countries. One needs to enter into 2 to 4 years program and get a new degree. People simply cannot afford it. This will probably lead to establishing their own certification (or multiple) for consultants. Health professionals do not recognize consultants as a profession.   Consultants cannot practice in any hospitals or women clinics. 

I would really love to hear from people on that side of the world. Is it the same for you?  Where do we go from here?

Thanks,
Maya Bolman IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2