Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:07:15 EST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Different companies have different needs, based on the number of employees who need services, whether services are offered to spouses and family members, types of insurance reinbursement available, benefits plans etc.
I have worked with several companies all of whom had different programs. One had me come onsite and teach prenatal classes every 2 months (a series of 3 classes) as part of a prenatal education class. They provided two locations to pump onsite and their insurance reinbursed for pump rentals and sales. If a consult was needed, the parents paid for that. This company's employee were mainly younger (average age 28), and we averaged 14 participants per class.
Another company that has an older avaerge age of employees ( 40 yrs average)so they didn't need as much services. The company provided a location to pump and referred employees to me for breastfeeding education, consultations (employee paid) and pump sales and rentals (company insurance reinbursed for these).
Another company had a lower paid workforce, mostly minority women working at just above minimum wage. This was when I worked at the other health department. This company had us come onsite once a month at lunch for a 30 min brief introduction to WIC and Bfing services. We made appointments for their employees at our night clinic. We placed a WIC electric pump on loan at this company and provided each mother a kit and a consult 2 weeks before her return to work. Almost all moms were WIC eligible.
I did a presentation on Employer Based Lactation Services in the Fall of 2000 at the Art of Bfing Conference in Raleigh NC. I believe the audio tapes are available from Wake AHEC at Wake Medical Center.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC
(Eastern AHEC is sponsoring a BFing conference next Thursday entitled Breastfeeding Trends 2001 and we have over 120 participants registered so far! I am presenting on Human Milks Banks! This is the first time I have presented this topic and am very thankful for Mary Rose Tully for loaning me a presentation! But I am not ready for it and need to do some major scrambling this weekend!)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2