Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:28:01 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hi Just had to add my perspective on the teaching of formula by IBCLCs. As the head of the hospital Breastfeeding Committee I have made it an issue to address how much we tell our Moms on Day 1 and 2 while in hospital and we tell the new Moms to followup with the pedis usually in 48- 72 hours after discharge so they can be guided by the docs recommendations.
We have a large diverse population usually Hispanics but we get a wonderful cultural and ethnic mix of patients. We get a large group of WIC Moms and so we need to address so many concerns and myths.
Even though we have approximately 90 % of all Moms declaring they are breastfeeding we also have the ones who want a "just in case bottle". Our goal is to focus on exclusivity but we need to make sure that the Moms who are using formula understand the enormity of the importance on how to prep formula. 
They are told that it's not like making "hot chocolate" were they can add just a little more to make it more nourishing. Also not to dilute it more for a longer time of use.  In fact over the years I have seen infant deaths from both errors.
That's when I add if your are breastfeeding its all premixed, ready to eat and you don't have toimprove the 
recipe".  
We recently had WIC reps visit us and we now have the wonderful visual aid of how much they get if they are exclusively breastfeeding as opposed to doing both. It really is an impressive tool and we hve seen Moms then ask to take back the formula.
This is only one view and Lord knows we have miles to go ...
Leanne Jewell

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2