Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:13:37 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)

Vicky asks:
"Another group (families eating healthy) I'm on had a few posts today discussing different
internal body cleanses to "detox," and a comment was made that "cleansing in general while 
breastfeeding is not a good idea because your body will be releasing stored toxins into 
your bloodstream and some will end up in the breast milk. Good excuse to wait."

I think one needs to clarify what is being referred to as "detox".Since the average American eats a very unhealthy diet and 
simply switching to a healthy diet will detox the body, following this line of thinking, one could make the argument that it would 
be best to wait to eat healthy food until the baby is weaned. As a matter of fact, one should avoid switching to a healthy diet while
pregnant as well. Trans-fats end up in milk, too, but no one seems to worry that women should avoid junk food until the baby has 
weaned. I personally don't think any internal cleanse program is going to be effective if it is used in place of a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Some detox is definitely too risky while nursing, such as when mercury fillings are removed, but I would disagree that any detoxing the 
body might do is dangerous. Losing weight creates detox, so does killing candida, eating dandelion and watercress, taking iodine 
supplements and eating nutrient-dense foods, among many other things. I think the question needs to be addressed as part of a 
complete holistic evaluation.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2