Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:54:07 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hillary wrote:
"Now I am thinking: when are mothers going to band together and sue the  dairy producers for
 enticing them to regard their product as healthy?

They cannot as long as there is only clinical evidence to back them up. But  I ask all of you here -- Rapp wrote this in the early 1990s -- why hasn't this knowledge become  mainstream?"

Recently in Connecticut, where I live, there was an incident which drew a lot of media attention. McDonald's (scary to me that I don't have to explain to people from other countries about them) was the "guest presenter" at a local high school. The kids were told that attendence was mandatory and the presentation was about jobs--how to apply, do an interview, etc. Now, the obvious point is that no one needs to try very hard to get a job at McDonald's and it is doubtful that this company is the best representative for teaching such skills. (And I wonder how many parents are hoping their kids aspire to a career in fast food?) Further McD. supplied incentive coupons to entice kids to apply for jobs. So, bottom line, recruitment was disguised as education and validated by the school officials. Anyway, a vegetarian student stood up and complained about McD's environmental practices and other social issues related to that company. The student was forced to apologize to the entire sch!
ool!
    The point is coming, really. The media was all over the school and parents were very supportive of the student--shouldn't have been mandatory, free speech, etc. A big, huge media issue was that corportaions have no right to disguise their PR as education. Well, am I the only one who knows that a great deal (maybe most or even all) of the so-called "nutrition" materials used in schools in the US comes from the meat and DAIRY BOARDS!!! This is why it is not public knowledge! We are a thoroughly indoctrinated population that can't discern propaganda from information (sounds a lot like the "next best thing" garbage, doesn't it?)
    Jennifer Tow. IBCLC, CT, USA (whose kid would never have apologized!!)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2