Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:21:51 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
RE: << I have been asked to post these thought provoking questions to the experts!
43 year old, expecting twins (now 30 weeks gestation)- several questions 
have come up......she had breast cancer, which resulted in a masectomy 5 
years ago. Still has one "functioning" breast, which has significantly 
increased in size, prenatally.
My questions are:
Is it possible for her to exclusively breastfeed twins on one breast? >>

As someone who mainly works with mothers of twins (MOT) and other multiples (MOM), it's definitely possible for her to BF. Whether it's possible for her to fully BF both is an unknown but worth being cautiously optimistic. She'll just have to wait and see. Although some mothers do fully BF triplets and quads, many can't. (Those MOM don't make the papers.) Some fully BF but the period they fully BF for isn't for as long as they wished. Some of it may be related to mother factors, some can be related to babies' behavioral styles. It can also be difficult to know how much is related to physiological limitations and how much to time management limitations -- any of which can be very valid limitations.

Being realistic -- it's worth being optimistic but flexible. While fully BF is a very worthwhile goal, partial BF, if necessary, is also a worthy outcome -- sure as heck beats none!

<<  I know that a single infant can breastfeed on one breast exclusively - but,  what about twins?? >>

It's possible -- as per those with triplets or quads -- but only time can tell whether it will work for this particular MOT. There is more to it than physiology...

<< What happens if babies want to eat simultaneously? >>

Many of us were not able to BF young infant twins simultaneously until they got a bit older. So that part of her situation is not unusual. It was not easy trying to placate one while the other ate when both were hungry. I remember trying to bounce one on my knee while his brother ate, then alternating and beginning again with one who hadn't quite finished, and then alternating again, and again, and again...until both were happy. 

I'd suggest she get one of those bouncy seats -- canvas or mesh seat on a wire frame -- so she can put one there and bounce him/her with a foot while she BF the other. I'd also suggest she arrange for household help, so she has some extra hands around to comfort one if both are hungry at once.

Simultaneous feeding has its advantages, but it also has disadvantages. And it certainly isn't a necessity for BF twins.

I'd really encourage this expectant MOT (and any) to join Yahoo group: APMultiples, which I've discussed many times before. Very supportive group for a BF mother of multiples.

Karen
www.karengromada.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2