Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:33:38 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Hi, all

I have been given a wonderful opportunity and am hoping some of y'all might be interested in helping....

I was recently selected to be on the Bright Futures Infant Expert Panel, whose 2 year assignment is to revise the infant portions of the Bright Futures Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents. The blurb introducing the guidelines is below:

Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents (2nd ed., rev.) (1994; 2000; 2002) is the cornerstone document of the Bright Futures project. Bright Futures is dedicated to the principle that every child deserves to be healthy and that optimal health involves building a trusting relationship between the health professional, the child, the family, and the community as partners in health practice. The guidelines present a detailed framework for health professionals, in partnership with families, to promote the developmental health and well-being of children from birth to young adulthood. 

(see http://www.brightfutures.org/bf2/about.html for more information)

The AAP has recently taken over "housing" Bright Futures and they are in charge of the revision effort. There will be 4 panels to revise the various age sections of the book. Each panel has 6-10 members, deliberately selected from a variety of disciplines. I was nominated by Betsy Anderson, who works with the Federation for Children with Special Health Care Needs/Family Voices. I'm the lone non-doctor/nurse on the infant panel, and the only IBCLC on any of the panels. I'm also there as a parent. It's a two-year commitment, and a volunteer one at that.

The breastfeeding information in the book is pretty good. The last revision came out after the AAP's breastfeeding position paper, and much of what is in there is based on that document. There are a few things I hope to see changed, but as a starting point, it is good.

As a committee, we've been charged with the task of making sure that the recommendations that are given in this volume are evidenced-based on sound research. My first official assignment is to look through a long bibliography of research articles on all different topics (that they provided) and to select some key articles that the AAP will provide copies of at our first face-to-face meeting in Chicago early next month. We were also encouraged to go beyond this list and to identify key articles of relevance to our own background that we are already familiar with.

This is where I thought some of you might be in position to help me. If you know of particularly good research articles about breastfeeding practices that can be used to back up recommendations that a healthcare provider might give infants at various well-baby checkups, please let me know. Obviously, I'll be looking through sources I have here, but Lactnet is such a wonderful community of knowledgeable people, I figured y'all might want to be a part of this effort.

This is so exciting, and has the potential for a lot of good in years to come. Check out the Bright Futures website (http://www.brightfutures.org) for more information about what the organization is all about. 

Thanks in advance!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC (and a usually quiet list mom!)
Huntingdon, TN

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2