Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:13:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (65 lines)
Dear all:

Thanks to Gonneke for clarifying something I was going to say as well.  I DELIBERATELY 
gave one example of a health care practitioner and one quotation about a mother for 
good reason. It doesn't matter what type of health care practitioner you are or even if 
you are a well-meaning lay person dispensing advice. If you give advice that results in an 
adverse outcome you are responsible for your actions.  We should take this responsibility 
seriously whatever our backgrounds.  I do not believe that there is an excuse for WILLFUL 
ignorance. And, I do believe that any professional should take responsibility for updating 
their own knowledge to the best of their abilities.

The bottom line is that if we are advising others, regardless of our backgrounds, we have 
a responsibility to do the best job possible to first, do no harm.  And we should all, 
regardless of background we have.  If an entire profession is constructed in such a way 
that it does not promote continual updating of knowledge that is "EVIDENSE-BASED, 
CONFLICT OF INTEREST FREE, AND EXPERIENCE-BASED" and excuses itself for not doing 
so because there isn't enough time, energy, money, etc.  Then it is time for that 
profession, whatever it is, to take a good serious look at the organizational structure and 
fix it.  Again, I think this applies to just about any profession that would be dispensing 
advice to mothers and babies where it may affect their later health, survival, and 
wellbeing.

I also have to completely disagree with the model that we should never be allowed to 
express anger.  This is something that has opressed countless groups who have been 
disempowered throughout the ages.  It is perfectly fine to feel angry and, in fact, we 
should feel angry, about the injustices done to others who have less power.  The 
difference is in how you use that anger constructively to build something better.  Using 
the excuse that it is not "professional", "ladylike", etc.... supply your own words .... to 
feel anger is not realistic, nor has it been the norm for many "empowered groups".  Often 
"empowered groups" do feel perfectly free to express their anger freely and then turn on 
those who have less power which such excuses when they don't comply.  And just 
because you are disempowered in one circumstance, does not mean that you are not the 
"empowered" in other circumstances.

To give an example outside our hotly debated lactation sphere --- take my son's 
elementary school.  The bottom of the rung is the underpaid aides that have to monitor 
the children during lunch and recess.  Parents, teachers, and principals are always telling 
them what to do.  Plus, cutbacks have reduced the number of positions to 1/4 of what 
they once were.  As a result, they no longer listen to what they are told when they are in 
the playground with the children.  They take recess away from entire classes even though 
a few children are the ones who cause the problems (and probably actually most need 
recess) --- and they continue to do this despite what the principal says.  Then if you look 
at the children, they are not always the victims either.  My son figured out how to get 
around an aide who told him he couldn't go back to the classroom to get the lunch he 
forgot.  He simply went over to the principal and asked her in front of the aide and the 
principal said yes.  

Instead of using the model that we all must be nice and get along (which has often been 
shoved down the throats of the disempowered), I suggest you use your anger wisely to 
build something better.  Women in the United States did not always have the right to 
vote, nor did African Americans.  It was channeled anger that made changes.

Best regards,

Susan E. Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2