Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:30:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Riva posts about a baby in her facility who at the age of three weeks was discovered to have lost about 2.5% of his weight virtually overnight, after gaining normally in the first couple of weeks.  He has a tongue tie that is not causing his mother any pain.  He has begun protesting at being offered the breast.  Riva wants input.

I am with Pat on this - there is something preventing him from feeding and he should be examined by a pediatrician.

But, Riva, I am also intrigued about your facility, where women come to recuperate after birth, especially after noting some of the information in your post.   First, it was not clear to me why a baby who is gaining well, is being weighed so frequently.  Is this the routine procedure in the facility, or was there something about the baby which led to him being weighed even after he started gaining well?   I noticed also that the mother is being encouraged to keep the baby with her - is it routine in the facility for babies to be separated from their mothers?

If the baby has been cared for by others and not been with one person, preferably the mother, maybe he is just showing signs of distress as any baby in an institution without a consistent, constant caregiver will do initially (until they give up expecting better).

Please tell us more about the facility, if you can.  How long do mothers stay and how are they and the baby cared for?  Who gets to come there and who pays for it?  (I am very curious!)

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2