Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:52:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hello All!

PTP:  I was recently asked for suggestions regarding traveling and separation from infant.  Here are the details:

"I will be traveling cross country to give a presentation. Given that XXXX will still be so young and not yet have received  the X- month immunizations, I will be traveling alone - I basically plan to fly out, give the presentation, and fly back. I will be gone a total of about 29-30 hours. Given that we've just gotten on the right track as far as breastfeeding goes, I'm a bit apprehensive about the entire trip. I will be bringing my insurance-provided pump and will plan to pump at each layover, landing, and at the conference. I will likely only manage 5-6 pumping sessions in 30-hour time frame. 

I worry about 1) the effects of not breastfeeding for 24 hours, using the non-hospital grade pump, and these effects on my supply; and 2) the effects on my baby of not breastfeeding for over 24 hours. 

Do you have any tips or suggestions? 

Additionally, it appears that I can safely save my breastmilk for 24 hours with a cooler and ice packs - correct? Any suggestions about a particular cooler that works well?

This mother has done a lot of planning to help this separation go smoothly, but any specific tips, beyond the basics, would be much appreciated, especially regarding the milk storage/cooler suggestions.

Thank you all again for your wonderful advice.

Take care,
Amy Wagner, BS, RNC, CCES, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2