Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:40:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Joyce,
I am a long-time GL viewer.  I saw Holly's birth and was disappointed.  Initially I was
glad that they did not push a Cesarian on her and that the doctor was encouraging her to
push, etc.  Given the history of this character (probably close to 50 years old--that
was her very adult daughter hovering outside) and the fact that they knew the baby had
Down Syndrome, I thought in true soap fashion they would not allow her to birth the way
she did.  However, the post birth scenes were sad.  I couldn't believe she was not even
allowed to touch her baby and in today's episode, the father was with the baby (Meg) in
the nursey apologizing that her mother had not been there to see her as she was unable
as yet.  I don't think Holly was unable to be put in a wheelchair to see her new baby.

Anyway...my guess is that breastfeeding will not be an issue.  The soap appears to be
very focused on the Down Syndrome issue and I'll bet that overshadows most new baby
things.  This baby is scheduled for heart surgery in the next few days.  Also, the adult
daughter is pregnant with a baby not her husband's.  I can't imagine the high-class
world of soaps (not!) giving breastfeeding the credit it deserves.

Kathy, LLL Leader, who just came out of the closet about her Guiding Light addicition!

ATOM RSS1 RSS2