Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 17:09:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I can speak to the effectiveness of CST and tongue exercises after frenotomy.  
First mom was a Physician's Assistant and somewhat skeptical of alternative therapies and the expense (she was the breadwinner.)  She called me the day of baby's 3rd CST after 2 posterior frenotomies and was discouraged that she was still in pain.  Then called back the next day to say that the pain that she had been experiencing for 8 weeks went away OVERNIGHT!
Second mom had baby's tongue clipped 3 times (anterior was clipped by an oral surgeon that only thought it needed a tiny release, followed up by 2 posterior releases by Linda Dahl, an ENT in NYC)  She did CST once between frenotomies 2 and 3 without much difference.  After 3rd release, she went again to CST, then watched what the chiropractor did and did it herself afterward along with other tongue stretching exercises until he finally improved, closer to 10 weeks but she progressed from nursing 3x daily to full nursing (she was pumping and feeding EBM in a bottle for other feeds.)
Thanks to the wisdom of ladies on this list, these dyads are still nursing today.
Moms need to know that the pain will go away.  Many of them say, "well, I've worked this hard to get this far so I guess I'm just going to keep plugging along."  If this baby is still slipping off the nipple after 2 frenotomies, I would check the tongue again.
Annie Brown, FNP, IBCLC
Greenwich, CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2