Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:57:26 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Dear colleagues,
    I have a friend who was dx with uterine cancer last spring.   Had a complete hysterectomy, bowel resection ASAP, then in October she had a blockage in the intestine (not sure if it was scar tissue or tumor), and she had that removed and the colostomy reversed.   All went well until about a month ago, when she had incr. levels of tumor marker and began a "milder" course of chemotherapy.   Now she has lost 10 pounds, all foods just "run thru" (ie lots of diarrhea), and she is on a clear liquid diet for the past week.   Not much improvement.   We have a mutual trusted friend who is bf her 8 month old and is willing to share some breastmilk.  My sense is that if it just a case of wiped out gut lining, then the breastmilk may stimulate regrowth, if it is a real blockage, then it needs treatment ASAP, but the brmilk is no worse than the jello and chicken broth she is having now.
     My question is, how would you dose this friend?  I thought of  1-2 oz/day, diluted with water.  Try it for 2-3 d, then up the dose depending on the situation.  I advised her to contact her physician regarding this idea, and expect skepticism.   I figured the oncologist may be more open to this since lots of folks with cancer seem open to trying alternative treatments along with traditional (?!) procedures.
  I am doing an archives search right now as well.     Hoping to hear from some...Michelle Scott, MA,RD,IBCLC in NH  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2