Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:59:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I recently posted about Similac plans to change formula to 19kcal because they state that breastmilk is only 19kcal. I haven't heard a response back from anyone so I am assuming this is new news to everyone. 
They 'similac' will be offering a 'conference call' to the facility that I work at this week (don't get me started on that) and I am going to sit in and listen. The person who told me about this new formula and the conference call couldn't remember everything the rep said but the one thing that he did tell which shocked me was "There hasn't been research in over 30 years on the kcal in breastmilk." And they (similac - I'm assuming) has new research now which points to breastmilk being only 19kcal. 
I have a sick feeling that what is actually happening is formula companies are lowering their Kcal because of the higher risk of obesity and they are trying to find a way to justify it but of course they wouldn't tell it like it is.
I know there has been research prior to the last 30 years so I am hoping that you guys can send me any links of the research you have on the calorie content of breastmilk. I would like to have as much information on hand as possible when I listen to this conference call. 
Also if anyone works in a facility where it is frequent to test breastmilk kcal can you give me your common results as well. 
Thank You, 
Jessica Callahan IBCLC, RN

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2