Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:33:59 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
How about some EVIDENCE-based descriptors.  Maintenance pumps - meant to support a milk supply when baby is nursing effectively and Building pumps - when babies cannot nurse at all for whatever reason for many months.  And how you classify this can be quite difficult because we ARE dealing with individuals, BUT there have been well-designed studies that have come up with bell curves etc for many other situations.  I suspect that there is no financial benefit for breast pump manufacturers to pit one of their pumps against another of their pumps. TO me it's like hiding your head in the sand.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Ortiz

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:31 PM

Subject: Breast Pump

I have been thinking about the terminology used to describe breast pumps. When I called the FDA to ask them what their definition of a “hospital grade pump,” they stated they did not have one and that it was an industry term. The FDA referred me back to the lactation community for a definition. If this is a term the lactation community has created, would it make sense for us to come up with the definition? Our industry has established terms such as “hospital grade” and “retail pump” without defining. Rather than creating new terms, which might be more confusing, shouldn’t we agree on a definition for each term as the industry standard? 

Here are some ideas:

Hospital Grade - multi user:

Evidenced based pump

Barrier to prevent cross contamination and/or re-infection Able to establish and maintain a milk supply

3 year warranty or longer (durable)

UL approved (electrical requirements by hospital)

Retail - Single user:

Does not prevent cross contamination or re - infection Limited warranty Able to maintain a milk supply Portable

Cost or weight should not determine hospital grade vs retail pump; it should be based on the features and effectiveness of the pump. 

Just some thoughts...

Joan Ortiz RN, BSN, IBCLC

Vice President, Limerick

President, Limerick's Workplace Lactation Program

2150 N. Glenoaks Blvd

Burbank, Ca 91504

Phone: 818-566-3060 ext 102

Fax: 818-566-1260

www.Limerickinc.com

Limerick is WHO code compliant

Follow us on Facebook

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2