Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:05:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Joylyn's wonderful story about the woman who gently and successfully pushed the envelope on pumping at work reminded me of the very first time I saw a woman pumping.

I was a La Leche League Leader, talking to our maternity floor's Patient Education nurse.  After we'd talked a bit, I notice that there was a breast pump on her desk.  It gradually dawned on me that the pump was running.  And the tubing... My goodness!  It ran up under her loose shirt!  She'd been pumping the whole time we'd been sitting across the desk from each other, I was a breastfeeding-aware person, and it had taken me several long minutes to notice!

Joylyn's mother's approach was perfect: arrange for reasonable discretion and slowly change what "reasonable" means in your setting.  If someone who always has breastfeeding on her mind is unlikely to notice, it's surely unlikely that others will, if you keep the steps in the process small enough.  Time to breech the last barrier: Public Pumping :-)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2