Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 12:45:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
After reading some of the comments on the question of whether it is advisable to feed a baby at one or both breasts, I am concerned that the topic is another example of how far afield breastfeeding in the Western world has become.

I agree with the pros and cons for different situations, and how to counsel a mother.  However, other than for specific reasons to do one way or the other, which a lactation consultant has evaluated, I think that the confusion among mothers arises from "the bottle-feeding culture," in which certain amounts and certain times and certain methods are the norm.

I usually prefer, when questions like this come up regarding general breastfeeding, to give a mother a perspective by giving examples of  how babies are fed in other cultures, or other times.  I am not an anthropologist, but I paint a picture of babies in slings, taking the breast ad lib while mom continues about her work.  I explain that we are very clock-conscious and need routines--that is our culture.  However, breastfeeding a baby is pretty much still the same as it was since the beginning of time, and babies seem to thrive better when fed by their wants.  I try very hard, but gently, I hope, to reinstill in the mother confidence in her own instincts, knowledge of how to know when the baby is hungry,  the freedom to believe that babies are meant to be fed at the breast, and that there are very few "rules."

My "laissez faire" approach may seem oversimplified, but I believe that breastfeeding education needs to give the baby back to the mother and out of the cookbook.  Obviously, I do not mean that all of you are misleading mothers, but it is the broader society that we are all up against.  Sometimes I simply tell a mom who seems uncertain, "breastfeeding just isn't that hard."  Of course, I know that in many cases it is REALLY hard, but those should not be the norm.  

Sincerely,
Patricia Ellis RN, MA, IBCLC
NJ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2