Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:57:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
DO we really 'know' that maternal IV during labor influences fetal weight and weight loss?

I do not need to be 'right', what I would like is to understand! :)

I have yet to hear an explanation for how this maternal IV fluid is transferred to the fetus. I'm not being snarky! I realize this claim has been repeatedly printed, however as a lecturer I have been inspired to examine the information more fully, dig down into the cited supportive data, and cannot find any explanation for the fluid transfer. I know a lot of people report this as the case, what I'm asking for is an explanation for the physiology behind this transfer which I have yet to find established. School me please!

I don't think the Dahlenburg article is even relevant to this discussion. Dahlenburg (1980) examined cord serum sodium levels following administration of 5% dextrose and oxytocin solution, who does that anymore? It's 31 years ago. And it concluded a 'suggestion' that there may be some net transfer of fluid to the fetus via IV because their small population sample of infants born to mothers who had this dextrose was greater. This is not conclusive!

I'm really looking for the physiology behind this transfer so I can understand what is being implied. 

If you're really interested in the topic I would recommend reading this, the closest explanation for how fetal fluid volume 'may' be maintained: The placenta in the integrated physiology of fetal volume control. Faber. The international journal of developmental biology (2010). This article is not an ideal explanation either! However it's the closest thing I could find which examines how sheep fetal fluid volume is established and not surprisingly attributes this to the same thing we know effects our fluid volumes: the heart and kidney.

Like I said, I just want to understand. Particularly in a way that I can explain this to my students, peers, and clients! 

Thanks!

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2