Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 07:07:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Thought I would post this great idea here as well.

Today we had our Breastfeeding Task Force meeting and we were discussing ideas for WBW.
Claudia Johnsen (hi Claudia :-)) from Hampshire County WIC made an excellent suggestion.  Her suggestion is that we inspire the online bookstores (as well as our local ones) to show commitment to breastfeeding.  If we email these online stores we may be able to get them to promote breastfeeding by dedicating their homepages to breastfeeding friendly books during WBW Aug 1-7.  I made up a sample letter and did a bit of the legwork (fingerwork!) by finding out a few of the email addresses to send our requests to.  By all means this is not a comprehensive list and I urge you all to do your own searches if so inclined.  If all of us on wicbfnet send a letter to each of these bookstores they will get 80 requests as we now have 80 subscribers!  I hope we can also get lactnetters in on this as they number about 2000 now I think.  Lets have some fun with this!

Sample letter:

Dear Amazon.com (Barnes and Noble, Books.com, Booksamillion and Borders.com)
     August 1- 7 is World Breastfeeding Week. World Breastfeeding Week aims to increase awareness
in every country and at every level of the significance of breastfeeding and in particular to the development of the child.  More than 120 countries are involved in this campaign. The theme for the week this year is: "Breastfeeding: Education for Life".
     I know you feel as I do that books are an important educational tool.   I am appealing to your company to show your support by dedicating your homepage contents to World Breastfeeding Week by promoting "breastfeeding friendly books".  I would be glad to share with you a list of books we have researched and found to be supportive of breastfeeding.
     Thank you for considering this option and for joining many other countries, businesses, organizations and individuals during this important week.

If you would like to know more about WBW please follow this link:
http://www.elogica.com.br/waba/wbw97/wbw99.htm 

Sincerely,
Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC
WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator
Brockton, MA

Addresses:
Amazon.com = [log in to unmask]
Barnes and Noble = [log in to unmask]
Borders.com = http://www.borders.com/cust_contact.html
Books.com = [log in to unmask]
Booksamillion = [log in to unmask]

Please let me all know what you think of this effort.  Thanks!

Warmly, Ilene Fabisch, Brockton, MA
"Each day is a blank canvas waiting for our unique brushstrokes to create a masterpiece."

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2