Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 19:58:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi everyone!  I have a question about nipple blisters. I am familiar with the nipple blebs that many mothers get, but a mom I talked with on the phone has something that sounds a little different.  Her baby is 1 year old-tomorrow. No nipple blisters/ blebs until May. The first one is about 1cm and is on the nipple face and involves some of the side, but no areola. She told me it is too thick to “pop”.  The one on the other nipple is a couple of mm. Baby nurses with the same mouth position on each breast, but the location of the blisters do not correlate with baby’s mouth position. The blisters are both to her right. Below is what she wrote to me.  She gave me permission to post.

“Months and months ago (like May), I had a nipple blister/bleb that kept coming back. It finally stopped, but around the same time I started getting a huge bump on the other side of that nipple. It has gradually gotten bigger and bigger... it's not exactly painful unless pushed on directly. He nurses fine, gets enough milk, etc. It's a big whitish blister.
Now, on the other nipple, I'm getting another big bump. This one is a blackish looking blister (maybe blood underneath). It's also not painful unless really pushed on, and doesn't seem to interfere with milk transfer, but it just is gradually getting bigger.”

Anyway, just wondering what would cause this and what would be the best course of treatment.  Should she see her doctor and have them open the blisters? Thank you!

Christine Lichte, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2