Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:17:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (154 lines)
Main problem we have found with bags is they are inaccurate for volumes, they spill easy, and they can break (especially some bags) plus oxygen passes easily through most brands.  At our hospital, we use CSF bottles or other #5 food-grade bottles with solid caps.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Gehrman
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:06 AM
Subject: Breast milk storage in hospital

For those of you who work in hospitals and collect milk from mothers for babies in special care or NICUs..... what type of bottle are you providing for the mothers?  We were using a grad-u-feed bottle provided free from a formula company (MJ) but discovered  on the packaging that it said  it is not intended for the storage of breastmilk.  When I called the company and asked why, I was told that the plastic is not intended for freezing. Milk can be put it in to feed but not to store. The warning implies refrigerator storage too.  The recycle number on the bottle is a 5.  The MJ consultant  couldnt tell me if it had BPA or not. Are any of you using plastic bag storage intended for storing milk??  Anyone aware of any rules or regulations about the bags? I know about the "snappies" bottles that can be ordered from the formula companies or from Capital Vial and a similar bottle from Medela . Anyone getting these for free?  I would love to by-pass the formula companies altogether on this but in the economic environment we have at present, that will not fly with those paying the bills. We are looking for the safest, yet, most economic container that we can find.  Any suggestions that any of you have is appreciated!

Susan Gehrman RN, IBCLC, CCE
Battle Creek Health System
300 North Ave.
Battle Creek, Michigan 49016
Phone: 269-966-8586

Breastfeeding... A natural resource. 

This message may contain confidential information protected by law through attorney-client privilege or professional peer review/quality evaluation privilege.  It is intended only for the individual or entity named above.  It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message.  If you received this message in error, please notify the BCHS Privacy/Integrity Office at [log in to unmask] or (269) 966-8347.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2