Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:06:03 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
This sounds a lot like what I dealt with.  I also have controlled IBS, which is very common in people, like me, with fibromyalgia.  I wonder if this mom has any other symptoms of FMS.  That creates excessive physical responses to stimulus, and wondered if my nipple problems were related to that.  

I found that even the slightest nipple damage, thrush, eczema, etc., would kick up the blanching, pain, and excessive sensitivity.  What really helped me was to prevent as much stimulation as possible, because the slightest touch or change in temperature would cause blanching, the pain of which compared to the time my one son bit and drew blood.  I started using squares of very fluffy, soft prefold cloth diapers over my breasts.  I kept them in place by lifting up, but not latching, the flap on my nursing bra, so they were loose, but did not stayed in one place.  Between that and avoiding anything touching my chest, I could reduce the stimulation greatly, and keep the nipple tissue relaxed.  This also kept things a pretty constant temperature.  I would also keep the cloth inside my clothing while I was nursing, so it would stay warm, and then replace it immediately when the baby came off the breast.  If I could be really consistent with doing that for a couple days, the problem would be pretty well under control, until the next time something started it up again.  I believe it is essential to do whatever might possibly help avoid the blanching, especially the severe blanching, which is followed by blue nipples.  Another issue could be husband's stimulation of the wife's breasts, which can become very painful for someone with these symptoms.  I would hope that most fathers would be understanding of such a situation.

Nifedipine might help speed the time it would take to see improvement, but I don't have much experience with that.   

I suspect this is actually a syndrome that has not been specifically identified, and suspect that it would be useful for it to be described in some sort of official manner, although I am not in a position to do that.  I have been in touch with quite a few adoptive moms who have similar symptoms.  It can be especially bad if they are pumping, before they have a baby to nurse.  I have wondered if the Whisperwear pump might be beneficial for that, because it does not keep circulating cooler, outside air, but haven't been in touch with anyone who has tried it with these symptoms.  

At any rate, I would commend the mom for her devotion to breastfeeding, give her ideas of things to try, and assure her that the benefits of breastfeeding, both emotional and physical, are well worth putting up with this problem.   

Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2