Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 19:45:28 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
PTP:  I have been working with a primigravida who prior to getting pregnant had numerous (more than 10) biopsies for fibrocystic breasts.  Right breast has had lumpectomy over 10 years ago with a 180 degree periareolar incision.  This breast produces more than twice as much milk than her left breast.  The right breast has a lump now which has grown from 1cm to over 2 cm in last few months.  She had a needle biopsy done before giving birth of this area which was benign.  Lactation has gone quite well , although has struggled with supply and slow infant weight gain.  Baby was exclusively breastfed until a few weeks ago (mother returned to work) and has needed to add 90 ml of formula per day.
Two breast surgeons have been consulted and both recommend surgical removal .  One who is breastfeeding friendly is unfortunately out on maternity leave herself.  The second wants her to wean before surgery (although wants to do the surgery 6 days from now so I don't quite know how she would safely wean in that time) and wait two weeks and then she could relactate.  She could also start pumping before that time but might risk getting a fistula.  The mother would like to breastfeed at least 6 months but also does not want to risk putting off the surgery.  I am looking for any recommendations you could give us.
Many thanks,

Polly Westra R.N., IBCLC
In Sunny South Florida with the best winter weather in the world (although thunderstorms threatening as I write this).

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: DO NOT FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO OTHERS WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE SENDER.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged material that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, or taking any action in reliance on its contents is prohibited.  If you have any reason to believe this e-mail was not intended for you, please delete the e-mail and any attachments, and notify the sender immediately.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2