Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 04:10:32 EST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
I am very grateful to have had so much response from Lactnet reguarding my client whose baby is not feeding well. I am sorry to say that I am quite far behind on posts. I have also missed responding to some personal emails recently. If you emailed me and I did not respond, please try again, although I cannot guarantee any consistancy in responses for the time being. I have been reading some, mostly as a distraction, but I am about 3 weeks behind as my mother died of cancer just before Christmas and I am currently investing a lot of time in supporting my FIL in his battle against cancer. Working is not really easy right now and I appreciate that I could so quickly tap the best bf minds while my own is under such duress.
So, about my client. I did look into an OT--actually I asked the PT who I respect more than almost any other HCP in the world about a referral. He had just given a workshop on suck/swallow for OT's and said that his own skills were greater than those of most OT's. (I really think that most PT's practice a very mainstream form of care and are nothing like the PT's in my community. Anyone interested can look into Integrated Physical Therapy or Functional Medicine.) Anyway, he saw the baby and said that all of her feeding problems originate in her diaphragm. He said that her position in utero (breech) and her traumatic birth (cesarean) had caused injury to the diaphragm that has resulted in an inability to coordinate her suck/swallow/breathe. He said that the restriction of her tongue at the hyoid (diagnosed as such by the chiro as well) is a defense mechanism that allows her to breathe. So, once her diaphragm is treated, she should be able to release other areas of restriction and eat properly. Now, we need to
 keep the mom supported as she was hoping for a quicker fix. Am seeing her tomorrow to see if any of the suggestions I got will provide interim assistance. She has rejected any bottle at all, stating that if she uses one once, she will never go back. It is her line in the sand, so we dare not cross it, unless she chooses to do so. Again, thank you!
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2