Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:44:40 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hello all!
Congrats to the exam survivors!

I have a close friend who is a Carmelite priest (a catholic order). He called me last night because in his research of a very famous spanish
sixteenth century saint, saint Teresa of Jesus, he came across a lovely reference to breastfeeding. Saint Teresa is one of the most important
spanish saints,a true erudite and she always defended that prayer is not a matter of reasoning but of a nearness to God. I have translated the text
he sent me though it was in ancient spanish, so it came out a bit strange. I hope you enjoy it as I did, no matter what you believe. I post it as a
historic, sweet reference to breastfeeding.

“And pay much attention to this comparison that the Lord gave me while at prayer, and it seems to me it helps to understand. The soul is like a
child that still nurses, when he is at the mothers breast, and she, without his effort pours her milk into his mouth to gift him. So it is with prayer,
that without the effort of the reason, the will is being nurtured and the Lord wills that without thinking, the person understands that He is with him,
and that he only has to swallow of the Majesty that He pours into his mouth, and enjoy such softness, that he knows that the Lord is gifting him
thus and he enjoys to enjoy it. And he does not look to understand how it is that he enjoys it and what he enjoys, but abandon himself to it,
because whomever is close to the joy, as to the breast, will not miss its convenience. Because if he must fight his reason to give it reasons he
cannot, then forcefully the milk will spill from his mouth and he will loose the divine nourishment.”

Saint Theresa of Jesus
Path of Perfection, chapter XXXI, verse 8

Kika Baeza
MD, family physician, IBCLC hopeful
Madrid, Spain, where we are reaching 102 degrees !!!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2