Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:35:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi Dana
I have had mothers of many tongue tied babies reporting on gastric upsets/colicky type behaviour e.g. excessive spilling, discomfort after feeding, excessive burping. These symptoms will also resolve after tongue tie release but frequently not 
instantaneously.

We often hear tongue tie babies gulping, and probably swallowing lots of air during feeding.

Reasons for this may be that the tongue tie impacts on the air tight seal between tongue and nipple. If the baby looses contact between tongue and nipple consistently there may be swallowing of air. 

The tongue tie can furthermore also impact on grooving of the tongue and the ability to make repetitive well co-ordinated movements with the tongue. This may result in poor bolus management which I will attribute gulping to, i.e. the baby cannot control the milk bolus well (size, speed?) and prepare it for that exact moment when he triggers the swallow. 
I think many of us have had the experience of taking too large a sip of liquid and how it feels swallowing that, not comfortable. If a baby is doing this repeatedly while feeding?  

I think it is therefore not unusual for tongue tied babies to have gastric symptoms which may look like and I believe is often treated as GER.  

Further to this has anyone on the list had experience of excessive drooling in a tongue tied baby/toddler?.

Loraine Hamm
SLT/IBCLC 
New Zealand

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2