Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:15:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
 I trust intuition far more than I trust technology. I always trust science in the end, b/c it ultimately proves the truth of intuition. Many years ago, one of the most brilliant medical intuitives I know told me that ultrasounds are the single most damaging intervention in maternity care. He told me they cause serious disruptions in brain development and function. I do not know if u/s is the most dangerous intervention anymore, since inductions and drugs have become almost universally applied, but I do believe they are an underlying cause of much of the dysfunction we see in newborns. While my opinions about this may not be evidence-based, remember that the routine use of ultrasound is absolutely NOT evidence-based and is for that reason inherently contraindicated. BTW, when I was studying birth extensively, I came across quite a few other studies that suggest a link between u/s and ear infections, IUGR, autism and various neurological problems. Again, how do you study this--women who avoid u/s are pretty self-selecting. What is so odd to me, though, is that in the field of obstetrics mothers need to take action to avoid intervention rather than taking action to have it. Clearly, the medical model holds that intervention is the norm (just as artificial feeding is the norm). It's like having to go out of the way to get yourself on a list to avoid telemarketers rather than inherently having the right not be called during dinner by some obnoxious stranger selling insurance. I have believed for 20 years that one day we will look back in horror at the exposure of babies to ultrasound--I hope that day is fast approaching.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
 Intuitive Parenting Network LLC    

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2