Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:53:26 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
If you are a nutritionist, interested in nutrition, through menopause, or just would like to prove to some doctors (including my husband) that I am not crazy read on.  Thanks!

One of my 5 children was extremely sensitive to the dairy I ate (colic, skin rash, gas, green stools). He nursed for 2 1/2 years and then abstained from dairy and eggs for about 12 years. I was able to re-institute some dairy in my diet after 6 months.  As an older teen he started drinking tons of milk with no side effects.  In his twenties he developed a skin disorder that caused him to loose pigmentation and burn easily. He decided not to do an elimination diet (I told him it would take months to heal his skin) and he lives with sunscreen.  Fast forward to me

I have always been able to eat anything (kinda had the stomach of a dog) I do not know when I went through menopause, I had no symptoms.  I had a hysterectomy after my daughter was born and retained my ovaries. Skip forward... About two years ago I started having lower back pains - that needed injections, was extremely gassy, started getting severe headaches every other day ( I have a history of migraines but they were controlled), had shooting pain in my carotid artery up into my eye, wasn't sleeping through the night, had bad dreams, and woke up exhausted and in pain, couldn't remember stuff ( a problem 'cause I am the office manager of our OB practice).  I am otherwise healthy, normal weight person who was into weight lifting, Tae-bo, and gardening.  I started on medicine, lots of it, stuff for pain, stuff to keep my stomach from rotting away...

Went to a neurologist who said I could live on medicine or be in pain.  When I balked because I am into health and no  meds. he finally said I could try a migraine elimination diet. Within two days (of the diet from Hell) I was off medicine, within 5 days I could think more clearly than I had in years, woke in no pain( it would take me an hour to get moving in the morning), was sleeping soundly, and done with nightmares, and not getting headaches.   My husband says there must be something I can take, he put me on estrogen! We can't go out to eat anymore. 

The diet I am on eliminates all artificial sweeteners, dairy, caffeine, chocolate, most nuts, some citrus fruits, bananas, onions (I actually discovered this on my own a few years ago). Actually you can search for it on-line.  I am an almost "new woman".  What I would love to know is if there is anyone else out there who has experienced this or knows of someone who has.  I certainly now know how a colicky baby feels and am more of a health nut than ever.  My teen daughter finds me insufferable when someone asks me "how are you?"  If I even try to cheat I get an immediate headache or depending on the food stomach cramps.  

Would appreciate hearing from any "breast buddies"   Karen

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2